For many people, smoking marijuana is the perfect way to relax and unwind. But for first-time smokers, the process of rolling a joint can be daunting. In this complete guide, we'll walk you through everything you need to know to roll a joint like a pro. Whether you're a beginner or an expert, follow these steps and you'll be enjoying your joint in no time.
The History Of Joints
The history of rolling joints dates back to the early 20th century. It was first popularized in the United States during the Vietnam War by soldiers who would roll their cigarettes from loose tobacco and marijuana.
It is one of the oldest ways to smoke cannabis, and it has been around for centuries. The first recorded mention of a joint was in a 100-year-old text from the Qing Dynasty that talked about a "dried flower petal" being smoked by a man Muslim rebels had captured.
In the early 1900s, people started rolling their cigarettes with loose tobacco and paper, often called “rolling your own.” This allowed people to smoke tobacco without paying the high prices for manufactured cigarettes.
The first mention of rolling a joint was in 1930 by Herbert Asbury in his book The Gangs of New York: A Somewhat Personal History of the Underworld. Still, it wasn’t until later that it became popularized to smoke cannabis.
In the 1960s, as cannabis became more widely used, rolling papers were invented by brands such as OCB and Zig-Zag to meet this demand.
The history of rolling joints is not just about the process of making them but also about the culture surrounding them. This article will give tips and tricks on how to roll a joint, choose a rolling paper, and detail everything you need to roll a joint.
What Are The Different Types Of Joints You Can Roll?
Types of joints can vary depending on the material used, the shape of the components, and other factors.
There are many different types of joints. The most popular type is the marijuana joint which consists of cannabis and rolled in paper or tobacco leaf. Other types include:
Cannabis is wrapped in tobacco leaves. A blunt is a cigar that has been emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana. This way, the person can smoke cannabis without using a pipe or bong. Blunts are also known as “spliffs” or “joints.”
Cannabis and tobacco wrapped in rolling papers or cigarette papers. Spliffs are a mix of cannabis and tobacco. They were originally made in the U.K. by rolling cannabis and tobacco together on paper. Still, they can also be made by putting a few cannabis leaves in the cigarette paper.
How To Roll A Regular Joint With A Filter Tip
- The first step in how to roll a joint is to get your materials ready. You will need rolling paper, cannabis, and a filter tip. Filter tips are also considered a crutch. The crutch is essentially your foundation and will help you roll the joint.
- The next step is to grind the cannabis. You can use any grinder or use your fingers to feel it more in your hands. The best method is to use a grinder to get a finer grind. This will ensure that your joint burns evenly.
- The third step is to put the marijuana on one side of the rolling paper with your crutch at the end, then fold it over so that they are touching each other. You can make a back and forth rolling motion to create a cylinder cone shape. At this point, you should have your crutch at one end and your bud in the middle. Slowly and tightly twist them together tightly until they are completely wrapped up in the rolling paper.
- The fourth step is to take both ends of your cone-shaped cannabis and roll them up tightly around the filter until they meet at its center. Pinch the paper as you roll it back and pack your flower evenly. You can then lick or moisten one side of your paper (preferably the glue strip) so that when you seal it shut, it. You don't have to lick it much here. Your paper may be thin and needs a quick lick to get a good seal that will dry quickly. Now seal the joint and get ready to smoke.
This technique is excellent for rolling a joint of any size. The crutch and the size of the paper will determine the shape in the end. The only way to get better is with practice. Keep things simple, and at the end of the rolling process, you should have a nice joint with a tip.
What Are The Best Brands of Rolling Papers?
Rolling paper is an integral part of the smoking experience. The best brands of rolling papers are not always the most expensive. It is essential to consider what you are looking for in a paper. For example, if you want a paper that will burn evenly and smoothly, brands like Zig Zag or Raw Rolling Papers are options.The best brands of rolling papers are those that provide quality and consistency.
Flight2Vegas Top 5 Rolling Papers
Zig-Zig Organic Hemp
These are the OG rolling paper with a cleaner and smoother pull. Slow and even burning. This rolling paper is perfect to pair with any cannabis strain. Use a grinder to get a finer grind for this paper. A King Palm pre-roll tip is with your favorite flower is a good mix. We recommend these when learning how to roll a joint. Zig=Zag is hemp papers is one of the best hemp papers availible. These next level from the og orange zig zags.
Raw Organic King Size Slim
This king-size paper needs a big crutch, and luckily Raw makes them. Raw is one of our favorite brands known for its quality, material, and even burn. We would suggest using a tip with Raw paper. They don't have the best seal and are not the best when learning how to roll a joint. The good thing is they can withstand a bit of back and forth rolling when trying to pack your entire joint. Break out the grinder for this paper. You will need a good grind for your bud. Raw is good for rolling a few pre rolls. Pre rolls are a convient when you don't have time roll.
OCB Premium Slim
These are for the connoisseur. These thin papers can be rolled into huge joints if you roll with a large enough crutch. This joint paper is honestly close to perfection. You can pack this paper out while having a thin paper for that smooth and even burn. If you are new to joint papers, I would not start here. I like to pair this paper with a cannabis strain that is flavorful to savor its profile fully.
Juicy Jays are always fun to roll. Juicy Jay has some of the best-tasting and smooth smoking papers in the game. The only downside is these are not thin like the other brands of rolling paper mentioned. These are good if you are new to smoking.Depending on how much weed you have, you could roll skinny and fatty joints with this paper.
This particular rolling paper is like a hybrid of OCB and Zig Zag. It has a good mix of thinnest, quality, and ease of use. As with all the papers mentioned, make sure you use a filter to joint that stability. Honestly, it's best to use a filter whenever you roll a joint.
The Best Ways To Light A Joint
These are the two most popular ways of lighting a joint.
Lighters are one of the most common ways to light a joint. They provide an easy and convenient way to light up your joint, but they have disadvantages. One disadvantage is that lighters can burn out quickly, and if you don’t have a backup, you may find yourself in a difficult situation.
Another disadvantage is that some people find it challenging to use them if their hands are too shaky or they have limited mobility in their hands from conditions such as arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
Matches can be used as an alternative method for lighting. There are a few ways to light a joint. Some people prefer to use a lighter, while others prefer a match.
The best way to light a joint is by using the "L" method. Light the end of the joint and then hold it horizontally for about 10 seconds before taking your first hit.
How do you make cannabis oil for joints?
It is also a relatively straightforward process requiring no special equipment or knowledge. All you need to do is decarboxylate your weed, make your oil, and put it in a joint!
The first step is to decarboxylate the weed. Decarboxylation is a process that converts THCA into THC, which provides the psychoactive effects of cannabis. This process can be done using a conventional oven or a stovetop method.
Decarboxylating weed with dry heat means that you need to put your cannabis on a baking sheet or oven tray and bake it for 20-30 minutes at 225 degrees Fahrenheit (105 degrees Celsius) until it turns brownish green in color.
Cannabis oil can be made by following a few simple steps
- Step 1: decarb weed following the previous paragraph
- Step 2: Add the ground and decarb weed to a crockpot and add cooking oil (we prefer coconut oil) of your choice.
- Step 3: Turn crockpot on low and cook for about 4 hours or until weed is fully cooked and has turned dark green.
- Step 4: Strain the oil from the weed with cheesecloth or other fabric that will not tear easily.
- Step 5: Pour strained cannabis oil into a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or freeze for later use (up to 6 months).
You can add the solid oil inside when you roll a joint or coat the outside with a bit of it to add hash on the exterior.
Make Sure You Use These Tips When Rolling The Perfect Joint
Joints are a great way to relax, but they can be tough to roll. This article will give you some tips to make rolling the perfect joint a lot easier.
- Use a grinder to break down your weed into small pieces. Ground flower burns evenly in joints. A grinder makes life a lot easier.
- Use a metal screen or mesh to filter out any unwanted particles in your weed
- Roll the joint with both hands until it is tight and secure ( you thumb and index finger will be your best friend)
- Cut off any excess paper with scissors (depending on the paper size)
- Use a crutch or filter to add stability to your blunts
- Always use the filter as the guide and pack your herb as evenly as possible. Remember, if it's packed evenly, it will burn evenly especially with ground weed.
- Always pick the appropriate rolling paper for your joint.
- The joint rolling process is delicate and complex, and we hope these tips help. We are sure of that end of the rolling process.
- Use a rolling tray to keep all your things in one place. Rolling up can get messy and a rolling tray helps avoid any potential messes depending on how much weed you have.
- Try to picture tucking with your thumbs and your index fingers into one another.
- Paper size depends on your personal preference and how much weed you have to roll.
- Try to keep the adhesive side in mind. Ideally you want the that to be last part you roll and seal with just a little moisture. Roll from the no adhesive side down to the adhesive coated side
- Joints can be as small as a half gram to five grams. Its about personal preference and how much you want to smoke. Full gram joints are the most common size.
- A business card is a great tool to have that will aid in keeping things together. A thin obeject or a poker is also helpful for getting all your cannabis inside.
- Keep it simple and don't use different materials. A simple paper is always the best choice.
It Takes Patience And Practice To Learn How To Roll A Joint
Rolling a joint is an art. It takes patience and practice to learn how to roll a joint. There are many ways to do it, and there is no one way that's right or wrong. You don't need to know much to get to a good start Grab your materials and a good rolling tray and try it out for yourself!. With enough practice you'll be roliing pre rolls in no time! Practice makes perfect!
Check out our article What Is Delta 8? 5 Health Benefits ! We have an extensive guide on hemp wraps that's also worth a read! Need to know how long your high will last? We have detailed guide with all the details We have the Perfect Guide On How To Inhale While Smoking that great for newbies. If joints are not your thing we have an awesome article on how to hit a bong that is super helpful for beginners.